Monday, November 3, 2008

Ouachita Mountains Color

Take Me Home Country Roads 3

Last week I wrote a blog about the how beautiful my hometown Mena is in the fall. This weekend I took a photo excursion through the Ouachita National Forest to Shady Lake. I think this weekend is probably the peak of the fall color season. The Ouachita Mountains in the fall are as pretty a place as you can find.

Shady Lake is a 25-acre lake in the Ouachita National Forest served by an accompanying U.S. Forest Service recreation area. The lake's dam and some facilities within the recreation area were constructed by workers of the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1938.

Shady Lake 2
FALL COLOR AT SHADY LAKE

The recreation area includes more than 90 campsites, a swimming beach, playground, hiking trails, picnic shelter, a grass boat ramp and other recreational facilities.

Game fish found in the lake include largemouth bass, catfish and sunfish species. Only rod-and-reel and pole fishing is allowed. Only electric motors may be used on boats.

We hiked the interpretive trail that is just a short distance from the campground at Shady Lake. It was an absolutely perfect fall day with sunshine and temperatures in the low 70's. We were surrounded with such awesome beauty that it was hard to decide what to photograph. This was my favorite photo taken on the hike.

Autumn Reflection

The picture is best viewed large which you can do here. The scene from the same spot, but taken upriver instead of down river, shows a stone bridge across the river.

Stone Bridge
STONE BRIDGE NEAR SHADY LAKE

On our way home from Shady Lake we drove to the top of Tall Peak. The road is really rough, but the view is worth it.

Take Me Home Country Roads 2
ON THE WAY TO TALL PEAK

Color Color Color
VIEW FROM TALL PEAK ROAD

Most of the drive through the Ouachita National Forest can best be described by the saying, "you can't see the forest for the trees". There is beautiful fall foliage everywhere but it is hard to capture the beauty with film. The only vista along the drive with a place to pull off the road and park is Sugar Creek Vista. There you can literally see for miles and miles.

Sugar Creek Vista
SUGAR CREEK VISTA

Sugar Creek Vista 2
ANOTHER VIEW FROM SUGAR CREEK VISTA

The drive was one of the most enjoyable that I can remember. Fall is one of the most enjoyable times to hike in Arkansas. The summer heat can make hiking unpleasant, and we have a good supply of ticks and chiggers. The cooler temperatures and the splendid fall colors make a hiking a lot of fun. If you don't believe me believe the picture.

Fall Gina
GINA ENJOYING A FALL HIKE IN ARKANSAS

7 comments:

  1. Indeed, these trees in their fantastic colors are beautiful! I wish I would have a better word to express my feelings. Excellent shots, Richie!

    Your wife had fun, I think I would have been dancing too in the beauty of mother nature... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful colors.. great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is So pretty! I want to come see it : )! I will read the cowboy poem to kaishon! I know he will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Great photos, Richies! I've never before heard of Shady Lake or Tall Peak. Seems like I need to explore more of Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reason Gina is dancing is because she made it back to the car!

    ReplyDelete