Sunday, March 16, 2014

Justice


J is for Justice.  It seems like justice is hard to find.  Many high profile cases that are followed closely on television leave many people feeling like justice isn't served.  Cases like O. J. Simpson, George Zimmerman and Casey Anthony leave some people wondering; "where is the justice"?

During 2011 Americans were closely watching the murder trial of Casey Anthony.  She was on trial for the murder of her young daughter Caylee.  On July 5, 2011, the jury found Casey Anthony not guilty of counts one through three regarding first-degree murder, aggravated manslaughter of a child, and aggravated child abuse, while finding her guilty on counts four through seven for providing false information to law enforcement.

Many people were outraged by the verdict.  I remember reading Shawn Boonstra's comments concerning the Casey Anthony verdict. I was so in agreement with his thoughts as he expressed them that I adapted them for use here at An Arkie's Musings.


The most talked about news story of 2011 was that Casey Anthony was acquitted of killing her 2-year-old daughter Caylee in 2008. One thing is clear: someone is guilty. Little girls don’t end up duct-taped and garbage-bagged in the woods all by themselves. Collective public outrage has been building in the days since the “not guilty” verdicts left the American public speechless.

I struggled with the verdict myself. As a grandfather of young girls, my blood almost literally boils over when I hear about people mistreating them. And the fact that the most likely perpetrator was acquitted is hard to take. She just looked so guilty. Her stories didn't add up. In the hours since the verdict was read by a court clerk who appeared as visibly troubled as the rest of us, I have begun to consider the possibilities.

One possibility, I don’t want to admit. Twelve jurors might, maybe, somehow, be right. It’s possible that the rest of us have been drawn by the scent of blood into a public feeding frenzy. Like most people, I honestly don’t think so, but I have no choice but to admit that it’s a possibility.


The more comforting thought is that Someone knows every last detail of the case. The Bible reminds us that real justice will have to wait for the final judgement. The Bible tells us in Ecclesiastes 12:14 that we can rest in the knowledge that God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil.

I don’t like it, but the jury has spoken; the judge has agreed. I will make every effort to keep it from happening to someone else, and will guard my neighbor’s children like my own. I will also, to the best of my ability, share the only thing that can bring genuine hope in a cruelly twisted world – the redeeming, converting love of Jesus.

Someone is guilty of something: little girls don’t end up stashed in the woods by accident. If Caylee’s cruel death has stirred such emotion in our own sin-stained hearts, imagine the way it hurts the heart of Christ. I imagine myself to be incapable of such horrific sins, but I have caused my share of pain, for I am a sinner. I have never had to hide a body, but I am painfully aware that Jesus equates hatred with murder. By Jesus’ standards, I have murdered, stolen, failed to honor my parents, taken the Lord’s name in vain. So have you. More times that any of us would care to admit.


Now here’s what is really unfair. I am going to be acquitted. I’m going to be released from the wages of sin, (death), even though I certainly do not deserve it. My sins killed Jesus, but I won’t receive the ultimate wages of sin because Jesus was condemned for our sins, in which He had no part, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no part. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His.

Now I’m not at all happy with the Casey Anthony verdict. It seems like somebody ought to pay for such a horrible atrocity. But I am also keenly aware that I myself am standing in heaven’s courtroom, with angels marveling at the fact that Jesus plans to take me into the kingdom after all the times I've broken God’s law.  In Psalms 103:10 the Bible reminds us, “He has not dealt with us according to our sins,” nor punished us according to our iniquities.”

Was Casey Anthony undeserving of her verdict? Quite possibly. Maybe even probably. I know for a fact that I don’t deserve mine.

To read many other great blogs or to become part of the ABC Wednesday family click here.



10 comments:

  1. It's hard to think beyond the horrific details of the case, and remember that whoever is truly guilty will be judged at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff.
    I've gotten REALLY frustrated by people not on the jury making determinations about these things, and the noise that gets rehashed. Zimmerman, e.g., was probably not guilty, per the law, and what the prosecution could prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Is the situation outrageous? Sure, and Z's post-trial behavior suggests he's loose cannon (appropriate metaphor, I suppose). But the jury may have gotten it right, legally speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's tough to sit in the juror box.

    frankly my dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be your neighbor, and in total agreement with you. The hardest part will be if Casey Anthony repents and is acquitted by God for her sins....how will we feel seeing her in heaven?
    Visiting from ABC Wednesday: J is for Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This darling picture is a haunting reminder of the unfairness of the ruling. I truly believe she did kill Casey and got away with it. She showed no remorse at all that Casey was even gone!! Like you say she will come clean some day.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is certainly difficult for those of us looking on without all the details. Like Roger says in the Zimmerman case, they probably had no choice but to acquit him per the law. Maybe that was the case in the Anthony trial as well. But as God is our judge....

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  7. That little girl is heartbreakingly beautiful. It's unbelievable that someone, in this case her own mother, could take her life. But then I don't know the case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh I didn't know about this...It's so sad that a child is killed and no one if convicted....but maybe the jurors hands were tied by laws..But God sees everything and whoever did this will certainly be punished..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living in the UK, I have not learnt of this dreadfully sad case, so don't feel qualified to comment much, other than to say, there's never a punishment harsh enough to mete the murder of a child, if that mother is truly guilty then the law should pursue her until justice is done, maybe the public prosecutor should order a retrial,
    Nothing will bring that dear little soul back, after reading this poignant article I found it difficult to hold back the tears.
    May she rest in peace and the Angels embrace her in their loving arms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very troubling. Again, I don't know the backstory, so not sure what would have compelled the mother to take that child's life (if she did so in the first place).

    ReplyDelete