Saturday, February 27, 2016

Snowy Morning


Last Wednesday morning there was a chance of snow in the forecast. Although we didn't get any snow here in Mena, I knew that the chances for snow were greater at higher elevations. When I got up that morning I read on Facebook that there was a lot of snow at Queen Wilhelmina State Park. I decided to drive up there before work.


I drove up the Talimena Drive in time to watch the sunrise at the Acorn Vista. There was just a skiff of snow on the ground.


After watching the sunrise I continued up Talimena Drive.  As I climbed in elevation there was more and more snow.




By the time I reached Grand View Vista the snow was 9 inches deep and the road was very slick.  After taking a few photos I decided that I had better make my way back down the mountain so I wouldn't be late for work.  






I made it back down the mountain and got to work just before time to open. I wish I had been able to make it up to Queen Wilhelmina State Park but I just ran out of time. William Rainey took photos of the drive and of Queen Wilhelmena State Park that you can view here.  He measured almost 13 inches of snow. Here is video that he took while walking through the woods to the Old Pioneer Cemetery.



A walk through the woods to the Old Pioneer Cemetery - Queen Wilhelmina State Park - Talimena Scenic Byway - Mena, Arkansas #arwx #winter #arkansas #arstateparks
Posted by William Rainey on Wednesday, February 24, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment