Thursday, September 11, 2008

Eye Of The Hurricane


Hurricane Ike is headed for the Texas coast, and expected to hit sometime Friday. It is interesting to me how people view hurricanes. Before Cynda moved to south Louisiana , I didn't really think too much about hurricanes. Now I have a reason to watch them carefully. I have a friend who doesn't think that they cause much damage, and that the news media blows them out of proportion.

As I was talking to people at work yesterday, the main concern about Ike was that it might affect the Texas Arkansas football game. Last night I read that the game has been postponed. That gave me an insight into human nature. We are basically selfish creatures. Millions of people might be affected by this storm, but I am only worried about what affects me. I am not worried about the football game, but I still act the same way.
At Tiger Stadium
ME AT TIGER STADIUM

I am selfish in my prayers. I have been praying that Ike will not hit Louisiana. I want my family to be safe, and not have to deal with the hardships a hurricane can cause. When I analyze my prayer, what I am actually saying is, "Lord please let this hurricane hit someplace where I don't know the people". I don't know how to deal with that.

In a hurricane, the most dangerous winds are in the eyewall, a ring of towering thunderstorms where the most severe weather occurs. In the human soul the most dangerous conditions are in the "I". I realize that "I" am born naturally selfish, and that God has asked me to think about him and others more that about me. "I" cannot accomplish that, only "HE" can accomplish that in me.

1 comment: