Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Like Ike



Hurricane Ike made it's way through Mena last night. It wasn't as big an event as had been predicted. We did have heavy rains, and there was water running in the streets, but I haven't heard of any flooding. We received between 3 and 4 inches of rain. The winds weren't as powerful as they were predicted to be. We had small branches down in the yard but I didn't see any damage as we were driving around town.

We had a busy day as I helped Gina prepare for Steve and Stephanie's wedding shower. Thankfully it was a beautiful day after last nights storms.

I am sure ready for the Presidential election to be over. I do not get too involved in politics. I believe it should be a personal decision, and my thoughts on the candidates should have no bearing on your choice. You don't have to worry about me telling you how you should vote. It does seem that as I've grown older, each successive campaign has gotten dirtier and dirtier. I never seem to hear what's right with a candidate, only what's wrong. Both candidates positive points, according to their supporters, seem to be that they are not the other one.

Because Hurricane Ike has been so much in the news for the last few days, I have been thinking about President Eisenhower and his I Like Ike campaign slogan. How different his campaign was to they way campaigns are run today. Take a look at a TV ad from his 1952 Campaign.



I Like Ike. It just makes you want to sing along. It takes you back to a kinder gentler time.

One of Ike's major accomplishments was the interstate system. People traveling through the United States today may find it difficult to imagine our country without the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. It was not until June 29, 1956, when President Eisenhower signed the Federal Aid Highway Act, that interstate highways began to meet the challenge of the growing number of automobiles on the nation’s highways. While in Europe during World War II, then General Eisenhower viewed the ease of travel on the German autobahns. That, along with the experiences of a young Lt. Col. Eisenhower in the 1919 Transcontinental Convoy convinced the President of the overwhelming need for safer and speedier highways. The President also felt that the newer, multi-lane highways were essential to a strong national defense.

USA_Interstate-77

I don't know if he thought about it, but the interstate highways are very necessary when evacuating from hurricanes. I wonder if anyone evacuating from Hurricane Ike stopped to thank Ike for his foresight in pushing for the interstate highway system.

No comments:

Post a Comment