Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Grace

Still Life

Grace seems to often pop up in places that I never expect it. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that simply stated "Grace Happens". It is true. Grace happens. It happens all around us. Often we are too busy to notice.

Yesterday was Halloween. My wife had bought lots of candy in preparation for the kids she was expecting to come to our door. She was prepared to give candy, and lots of it, to anyone who rang her doorbell. She waited with anticipation, because she loves to see the kids in their costumes. The doorbell rang for the first time. She went to the door and opened it with a bowl of candy in her hand. There stood two kids, but they didn't have anything to put candy in. They didn't say trick or treat. They stood there with a long stemmed rose in their hand. "We are not asking for candy", they said. "We want to give you a rose".

Popcorn and Candy
GRACE DISPENSERS

Unexpected grace. Out of the blue. I never thought that on Halloween someone would come to my door and give me something. I think that is a key to understanding grace. We Christians often focus on the fact that grace is undeserved. That is true, it is undeserved. If you deserved it, it wouldn't be grace. But not only is it undeserved, it is unexpected.

I think that is what Paul is trying to get us to see when he wrote in Ephesians 3:8, "to me, who am less than the least deserving of all the saints, this grace was given". He seems to be almost unable to believe that grace was offered to him. It was unexpected. Maybe that is why he talks about grace more than any other Bible writer.

Look for the unexpected today. Look for grace in unexpected places. I know that you will find it. Paul tells us in 1 Timothy 1:14, "the grace of our Lord is exceedingly abundant".

7 comments:

  1. How sweet...cute costumes too. I love an unexpected treat like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thing for the kids to do! Yes, Grace Happens, every day. We just need to be alert to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so wonderfully sweet! What a lovely blog post. It warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this has to be one of the most heartwarming posts I've seen in quite a while. Lovely thoughts, in the line of "practice random acts of kindness."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Such beautiful kids! their parents must be proud of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, was the recipient of roses from said "grace dispensers", and was abundantly blessed! Thank you for giving their act of kindness a place in blogland history!

    ReplyDelete