Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Top 5



I was recently tagged by Paul Merrill in a meme called 5 things. Paul gave me the assignment of telling you about my Top 5 grandparent times. How can I narrow it down to five? Here goes, not in any particular order.


The First Kiss
AUTUMN KISSING HER NEW BABY SISTER

The birth of a grandbaby is always a high point. When Rebekah was born, one of the things that made it so special was how much Autumn loved her. Autumn was just barely two years old. The day Rebekah was born, every time Autumn was in the hospital room with her sister, she wanted to hold her. She would walk in saying "I holdy, I holdy". This picture of her kissing Rebekah is probably my favorite picture.

Papa's Girl
PAPA'S GIRL

Rebekah has been a Papa's girl from the day she was born. Her and I just have a connection that I can't explain. Because we live 400 miles apart we don't get to see each other very often, but each time is very special.


AUTUMN'S FIRST STEPS

I remember when Autumn took her first steps. Gina and I were visiting in Baton Rouge. While we were there I had a very special time. Even though Autumn could take a few steps, what she really wanted to do was to hold my hand and walk.

She wanted to go outside and walk up and down the sidewalk holding on to one finger. Holding on to my finger she had all the confidence in the world and could walk for hours. One afternoon we spent an hour walking outside as fast as her little legs could go. I kept expecting her to get tired of it, but she wanted to keep going. If I even tried to walk toward the door of the house she wouldn’t go that way.

When we went inside after more than an hour of walking, she kept going to the door and pounding on it. She wanted to go back outside and walk some more. Because I was the one who would take her walking she wanted to spend a lot of her time with me.

Birthday Candy

Turning One
AUTUMN TURNS 3, REBEKAH TURNS 1

In October, Autumn and Rebekah celebrated their birthdays with their cousin Katherine. Autumn celebrated her third birthday, Katherine her second, and Rebekah her first. October has been a busy month for the Grant family, with a baby born during October each of the last three years.

The party was in a nice community building in the park a few blocks from Cynda and Dave's house. They had it decorated beautifully with lots of helium balloons and other birthday decorations. After the party the kids had a great time playing on the playground equipment at the park.

We had lots of fun at the party, with lots of kids, food, cake, homemade ice cream, and presents. With three little girls opening presents it looked like a tornado at Christmas. We got to sing Happy Birthday three times, and each little girl had her moment in the spotlight.

Autumn's First Thanksgiving
AUTUMN'S FIRST THANKSGIVING AT GRANDMA'S

One of the things that I am most thankful for is grandchildren. They have brought unimaginable joy into my life. Cynda and Dave alternate holidays that they spend with us. In even numbered years they are here for Thanksgiving, and on odd numbered years they are here for Christmas. They will be here in just a few more days, and I will get to make some more wonderful memories with my grandkids. I can hardly wait.

Okay. It's time to pass on the tag:

The Grant Adventure
- Tell us about your Top 5 hikes, ones you have made or just ones you would like to make.

Belize - Adventures In Paradise - Tell us your 5 favorite things about Belize.

Dakota's All Natural Experience - Tell us the 5 birds you would most like to add to your life list.

Atlantico Azul
- Show us five of your favorite personal photographs.

Remembrances Of An Arkansas Stamper - Tell us your five favorite places to visit, or that you want to visit.

9 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR TAGGING ME, RICHIES!!!
    I will do my best to honour this and will publish the post related to this MEME a.s.a.p. (maybe for Tomorrow)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing the meme!

    Precious memories!! And what cute little ones.

    What a blessing digital cameras are - allowing us to get pix & movies with such ease - and to easily share with others the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see you and the family. Sweet pictures. Enjoy the visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tag, Richard. Will do, but it may be next week before the post goes up. I'm expecting my daughter (stationed with USAF on Okinawa) and her husband and son tomorrow, so will be busy for a few days.

    Lovely photos and remembrances of your grandchildren! I don't know how you narrowed it down to five. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful little girls and wonderful memories to share. Thank you for sharing them here.
    When my first little girl was born and my mom came to visit....she kept remarking over and over how "fun this grandma thing is".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Richies! I'm glad you loked it! I had marvellous fun replyong to your assignement LOL!
    I've passed the tag on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, what sweeties! They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post! I got warmer and warmer for each word I was reading:) Wonderful grandchildren. I had to smile when I saw them. So beautiful and cute!

    Thank you for sharing this with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a wonderful post. I had so much fun reading this and seeing all the wonderful pictures... I really enjoyed this very much!

    ReplyDelete