Friday, April 15, 2011

Oh No! Not Again


It was a dark and stormy night. No I'm not starting to write a novel, it was actually a dark and stormy night. Strong thunderstorms swept across Oklahoma and Arkansas. Late last night the National Weather Service issued a Tornado Warning for the Mena area. With the devastating April 2009 tornado still fresh in so many peoples mind it was a scary night. Around 11:00 p.m. the tornado sirens started blowing. I was able to listen to the scanner to try to get any information about the storm. Apparently there was only minor damage at a few locations caused by falling trees.



Around midnight the storms seems to be weakening and according to the radar the danger was about over so we left our safe area, the downstairs hallway, and went upstairs to get ready for bed. This morning I heard that the Frito Lay warehouse had been badly damaged. The warehouse is less than half a mile from my parents home. On my way to work I drove by the location and sure enough the warehouse had extensive damage. I didn't see any damage to any other buildings in the area, and my parents house was OK. I attend church at the Mena Seventh-day Adventist Church which is located just a short distance from the damaged building. The church was OK, but there was debris in the churchyard.


I am puzzled that this one building had so much damage while others around it had none. I'm sorry for those who had storm damage last night, but so thankful that it wasn't worse. So many people had a scary night with the memories of April 2009 still so much on our minds.

6 comments:

  1. Thankful that for the most part it was a passing storm. Though I do believe the report stated that it was fatal in Oklahoma for some. I stayed up for awhile watching the weather but as the storm moved in I lost satellite, crawled up under my covers and prayed and went to sleep. The God that protects me on those crazy highways and byways will protect me in the midnight hour storms....for there was nothing more I could do ..He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high shall abide under the shadow of the almighty.....
    Thankful your city did not experience great loss as before. God is good always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible thing to happen.
    Hope the weather begins to behave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, Richie -- that's very scary. We had a few warnings a few hundred miles from here, but we haven't had any real severe weather just yet. Too early. Mostly May and June around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are OK. I wondered how your area faired.
    We were quite lucky in the north central part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The National Weather Service has confirmed that it was a tornado that caused the damage in this storm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear not much major damage had happen, tornados are scary and I only been in one myself and that was enough for me.

    ReplyDelete