Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ice


The ABC Wednesday Meme is a fun way to see some great blogs. This week the letter is "I". I is for ice. Ice can beautiful and it can be deadly.

Christmas Day 2000 Polk County and a lot of the surrounding area experienced a significant ice storm.  We lost more than ten trees, and one neighbor had their chimney knocked off of their house by a falling tree while another neighbor had a limb go through their roof and was through the ceiling of their bedroom.  We were without power for 6 days and we had friends who lived on a country road who were without power for 23 days.  Ice can be very powerful.

Ice can also be quite beautiful.  Here are a few ice pictures I have taken over the past few years.

Ice Ice

Winter Rocker

Icy Fence

Stone Cold Picnic

Icy Landscape

Ice Lace

Ice 2

Lace

Ice 3

Winter View

As beautiful as ice can be, I much prefer spring!

13 comments:

  1. You are so right about the power of ICE! When we lived in Ottawa for a brief period, there was a tremendous ice storm on Christmas Eve...many people ended up barbecuing their turkeys because of lost power. Love the photo of the chair with icicles hanging on it. Have a great week!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have seen more than your share of ice for your part of the country.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is very cold! And how terrible to be without power for 6 days, let alone 23 days! How could you keep warm? If this should happen here we don't know what to do. We depend so much on electricity. Well let's hope for an early spring.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I I love the images of the icicles!! Just make sure you don't get struck by one...they are dangerous.

    Thanks again and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can be deadly but oh so beautiful. I love the photo of the icicles on the railing and the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible pictures and story. Yes, powerful and beautiful...

    I is for ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome pictures to look at after the fact. Ice storms can be really treacherous here in Kansas too and we have had over share over the winters. One year my sisters power was out over two weeks because of the ice.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. How does one sit on them. Great shots fro 'I'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some beautiful pictures, though I don't envy your icy temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have only one firsthand experience with an ice storm. It was during my first and only visit to the East. We never really get them in the West

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have managed to take a great variety of ice-y photos. I love winter snow, but ice is quite a different matter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to live in Virginia many years ago and I not ever forgotten what it was like to have ice storms, "Brrrrrr" ice can be deadly yes as well as frustrating and very beautiful all at the same time too.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful ice photos here which brought back good memories for me :)

    Follow you from the ABC Wednesday blog which I also had entered an I photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was saving my icicles photos for letter I then I forgot about it, dang.. I love those icicles you've found!

    Internet is a Blessing

    As usual, I am late but I am doing my best to catch up.
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete