Sunday, March 20, 2016

Harris Creek Trail



This morning, my wife took a dutch oven cooking class at the Cossatot River State Park Visitor's Center. While she was learning how to make delicious food I was planning on doing some hiking and taking some photos. I asked the Park Interpreter if she knew where there were redbuds in bloom. She told me about a nearby trail, the Harris Creek Trail. The trail is a 3 1/2 mile loop that follows along Baker Creek and Harris Creek and has a breathtaking overlook of the Cossatot River.






The views along the trail are breathtaking. Some sections of the trail are quite steep and rugged but the trail is well maintained and is marked clearly. The sections of the trail that aren't near water go through a mature hardwood forest. The trees are magnificent. There was a tree that had fallen and was beside the trail. I stepped of the distance and found that the tree was well over 100 feet tall when it fell.





Along the trail were a number of benches. Most of them are located at a place with an awesome view. Because the trail is quite steep in places and there are lots of elevation changes, the benches come in handy. I took me 2 and 1/2 hours to hike the 3 and 1/2 mile trail. I did spend quite a bit of time taking photos along the way.






Harris Creek Trail is now my favorite trail in Arkansas. I can't believe that in all the time that I have lived in this area, today was the first time that I have hiked it. It definitely won't be the last. Soon there will be lots of wildflowers in the area. There were lot's of interesting sights along the trail. If you love to hike and have never hiked the Harris Creek Trail, I highly recommend it.






  


No comments:

Post a Comment