Wednesday, February 15, 2023

In From the Cold

My An Arkie's Faith column from the February 15, 2023, issue of The Polk County Pulse.

I'm not too fond of cold weather. When I must be out in the cold, it puts me in a bad mood. My earliest memories of the cold are from when I was about five years old. My family moved to Michigan, and we lived with my grandparents. I had never seen so much snow in my short life. My Grandpa had a rule about watching television. If I wanted to watch a television program, I had to spend an equal amount of time outside. Because I wanted to watch Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room, I had to spend time outdoors in the cold Michigan winter.

By the following winter, we had moved to Colorado. The winters there were not as extreme as in Michigan, but there was lots of cold weather. One cold weather experience that I remember was the day I turned twelve years old. I attended a small Christian school in Longmont, Colorado. We played snow soccer at recess on days when snow covered all the playground and equipment. Slipping and sliding in the snow was fun as we tried to kick the soccer ball, but I was so cold. I was looking forward to the end of the recess so I could return to school to warm up. But the teacher told us that because it was my birthday, we could stay outside and play soccer for an extra period. I didn't think it was a great present.


I didn't have a warm workplace for many years, so I spent much of the winter cold and miserable. But as much as I dislike the cold, I have always been fascinated by the stories of Antarctic explorers like Ernest Shackleton and Robert Scott. As a boy, I read everything I could find about Artic and Antarctic exploration. 

Today I enjoy watching YouTube channels by vloggers who live in some of the coldest places on the planet. I love watching Life in Yakutia, Maria Solko's vlog about her life in the world's coldest permanently inhabited place. Another favorite is Cecilia Blomdahl, a Swedish girl living in Longyearbyen, Svalbard, the world's northernmost town. I also watch the channel Talasbuan, which chronicles the life of Tova and Mathias, along with their son, Ivar, as they live off-grid in a small cottage in Northern Sweden. Learning about how people live in these harsh climates is very interesting. But I don't want to experience the cold myself.

But as warm summer days come from God, so do cold winter days. "The stormy wind comes from its chamber, and the driving winds bring the cold. God's breath sends the ice, freezing wide expanses of water. He loads the clouds with moisture, and they flash with his lightning. Job 37:9-11 (NLT)

God designed the seasons and the different climates. I don't think He is surprised when some of us are unhappy and depressed when it is cold. What does God say about winter? What can help us out of our winter blues? I like a verse that seems buried in the description of that perfect woman found in Proverbs 31. "She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes." Proverbs 31:21 (NLT) She was prepared for winter and welcomed it. She knew her family had provisions and supplies and warm clothes. She knew that winter was coming and planned for it.

Recently I read a historical story about Niagara Falls that I had never heard of before. The falls have the highest flow rate of any waterfall in North America. Six million cubic feet of water go over the falls every minute. But on March 29, 1948, the falls suddenly stopped. Those near the falls heard the overwhelming silence, and immediately they thought it was a sign that the end of the world had come! However, after thirty hours had passed, the flow of water resumed.

The river had stopped flowing because of ice. Heavy winds had set the ice fields of Lake Erie in motion and tons of ice had jammed the Niagara River. The ice blocked the flow of water until finally, there was a shift in the blockage and the river began flowing again.

Jesus tells us, "If anyone believes in me, rivers of living water will flow out from that person's heart." John 7:30 (NCV) But he also warned us that in the last days, "many will turn away from me and betray and hate each other. And many false prophets will appear and will deceive many people. Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold. Matthew 24:10-12 (NLT) If we want God's love, peace, and joy to flow, we cannot allow our love to grow cold. If we do, our hearts will become like ice.

The world can be a cold place. But God has promised to keep us safe and warm. "He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection." Psalms 91:4 (NLT)

Gentle Reader, Jesus knew the struggles we would face. He prayed for you and me when He was praying in the garden before His arrest. "I do not pray that you will take them out of the world. I pray that you will keep them safe from the evil one." John 17:15 (NIRV) The cold of the world around us will always be trying to get inside us, so we need to come in from the cold. Jesus says, "come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 (NLT)

Whenever you feel the cold of the world surrounding you, remember the promise found in Isaiah 41:10 (NLT). "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." God promises that he will not leave you out in the cold. 


No comments:

Post a Comment