Wednesday, March 22, 2023

A Rare Quality of Light

My An Arkie's Faith column from the March 22, 2023, issue of The Polk County Pulse.

I found what seemed like the last parking space and hurried into the Ouachita Center. The program would start in five minutes, and I had difficulty finding a seat. I was excited to see Tim Ernst's presentation and happy that so many in my community had come to see him.

I have been a fan of Tim's work for many years. I have several of his hiking guidebooks. Thousands of people have used his hiking guides to find the best that Arkansas offers as the natural state. His iconic photos of the beauty of Arkansas have appeared in hundreds of national, regional, and local publications. They hang on many homes and businesses' walls, including mine.

Jerry Butler in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette describes Tim this way. "Ernst is to Arkansas' wilderness what painter John James Audubon was to America's birds and what journalist David Attenborough is to the nature of the planet. Like them, Ernst has created visual images that inspire awe for the beauty of the natural world."

As Tim began his presentation, he said, "people want to know what I'm looking for. It is great light! You can take an ordinary subject, and if you have great light on it, it can be a very interesting image. You can take a picture of an icon like Hawksbill Crag, and if the light is just kind of ordinary, so is the snapshot." In my mind, I could see so many photos I have taken that are just ordinary snapshots. Nothing eye-catching about them, even though the scenery is beautiful. It is the light that makes the difference.

As the room darkened and Tim's presentation of Arkansas Nightscapes began, I was in awe. The stunning nighttime photographs began appearing on the screen. Many of the photos had a recurring theme, the Milky Way. "It is easy to see the Milky Way if you can get away from city lights," Tim explained. "Go out after midnight when there is no moon. Sit out for 10-15 minutes so you can acclimate to the darkness. Then look towards the southern sky."

I have experienced the majesty of the Milky Way in a very dark sky several times. My brother-in-law's cabin in the mountains above Leadville, Colorado, sitting at an elevation well over 10,000 feet, has amazingly crisp, clear night sky views. I have seen the sky there with incredible clarity, as no light source is visible when the cabin lights are off. 

Last year, I was able to experience the darkest night skies I had ever seen. I was in the Big Bend Ranch State Park, miles away from any light source. It is hard to describe the night sky in a place with no light. The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The sky seemed to expand with more and more stars. As I sat in the darkness and my eyes adjusted to the velvety blackness, I saw a blanket of stars stretching into infinity. The Milky Way rushed across the sky, looking like a bold brush stroke from the hand of a divine painter. As I looked up into the night sky, countless stars and constellations welcomed me into their world. The serenity and quietness of the moment enveloped me. The starry night sky seemed to wrap me in comfort and peace with its immense canopy and brilliant pinpricks of light.

Another place I have seen the majesty of the Milky Way in the night sky is on The Buffalo River. One night at Tyler Bend is still vivid in my memory. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, it seemed that more and more stars exploded into view, with the Milky Way dominating the sky. The Buffalo National River is an International Dark Sky Park, one of 201 certified Dark Sky Places worldwide.

Today less than 10% of Americans can enjoy a view of our galaxy, the Milky Way. That means more than 90% never see a picture of the sky taken for granted for almost all of human history. Stargazing has been a human pastime since ancient times. This night sky view inspired countless artists, poets, musicians, mathematicians, scientists, and philosophers. Something about the vastness of the night sky leads to thoughts of how our universe came to be and how insignificant we are. David wrote, "When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you set in place—what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them?" Psalms 8:3,4 (NLT)

There is something magical about witnessing the night sky and reflecting on the beauty of the universe and its Creator. A dark night sky with its starry brilliance is the perfect way to shut out all the distractions of the world around us. "Look at the myriad of stars and constellations above you. Who set them to burning, each in its place? Who knows those countless lights each by name? They obediently shine, each in its place, because God has the great strength and strong power to make it so." Isaiah 40:26 (VOICE)

Most of us lead such busy lives that we never fully realize how much we need to spend time alone with our Creator. Mother Teresa said, "Listen in silence because if your heart is full of other things, you cannot hear the voice of God." I know that I need quiet times in my life. The Bible tells us that Jesus would often seek quiet times with his Father away from the distractions of his busy life. "Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed." Mark 1:35 (NKJV)

Gentle Reader, I would encourage you to find a place away from the artificial light of this world and experience the night sky the way people have experienced it throughout most of history. Stargazing has been a human pastime since ancient times. The ancients interpreted constellations and arrangements of the stars and planets they saw in the night sky to have essential meaning for themselves and their families. Look up at the night sky and think about the majesty of the universe and its Creator. "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies announce what his hands have made." Psalms 19:1 (NCV)

----------------------------------------------------------

For more information on the books and photography of Tim Ernst, go to https://timernst.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment