Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The Unlikely Messenger

My An Arkie's Faith column from the April 26, 2023, issue of The Polk County Pulse.

I sat in the high school auditorium, waiting in anticipation for the play to begin. I had been hearing about the play for several weeks. My oldest granddaughter, a junior in high school, had written the play over the last month. She also directed the play, with fifteen of her fellow high school students performing all the roles. 

When it was time to begin, my granddaughter made her way to the front of the auditorium and began to speak. "My name is Autumn Grant," she began. "I am the writer and director of The Unlikely Messenger. I am very nervous and excited to have you all watch the play that the drama class has worked hard on for so many hours for your enjoyment. I have a few little requests for you in the audience. Number one is, please silence your cell phones because this play takes place in the 1840s, so they did not have cell phones. It would add to the realism if no cell phones went off during the play. Just silence your cell phone so the actors don't realize that they're actually in 2023."

After the introduction, the lights dimmed and faded to black. The audience was silent as a spotlight appeared on the center aisle, and three young girls walked toward the stage, happily chatting. Another girl soon appeared, and there was an altercation. When the three girls ignored her and walked away, she picked up a rock and threw it at them, hitting Ellen in the head. Her sisters pick Ellen up and carry her home. 

The following scenes show the doctor visiting Ellen, her mother pleading with God for Ellen's life, and her father not recognizing her because of her injuries. After her family listens to William Miller, a famous preacher of the era, they are excited that Jesus is coming soon. They are very disappointed when Jesus doesn't come when they thought he would. 

God calls teenage Ellen to comfort the followers of William Miller who have been disappointed, but she doesn't feel like she can and stays away from church meetings, so she won't have to share what God has told her. She tells God, "I know what you showed me. I know you want me to share this with others, but how can I? What if I'm too sick, God? I'm only seventeen. I can tell my family, but I won't tell others. Look at me; I'm not fit to share your message. Pick someone else."

When Ellen finally decides to speak to others, she travels around New England speaking to groups, encountering interested listeners and detractors. It wasn't easy for a female, especially a teenage girl, to be taken seriously, but after her initial hesitancy, Ellen dedicated her life to God and preaching His message. 

At the end of the hour-long play, the audience cheered as the performers came out for a curtain call, showing their appreciation for the hard work of everyone involved. As my granddaughter came onto the stage and held hands with the performers, her face broke into a big smile. Now there were no more late nights writing, no more hours and hours of practice, and no more anxiety and nervousness. There was now relief and happiness, knowing that the play was a success and the audience loved it. 

The play tells the historical story of Ellen Harmon, who Smithsonian Magazine named one of the "100 Most Significant Americans of All Time." For the next seventy years, she preached across the U.S. and Australia and wrote over 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books. She is the most translated female non-fiction author in the history of literature and the most translated American non-fiction author of either gender. Historian Randall Balmer has described her as "one of the more important and colorful figures in the history of American religion." 

Ellen's story as an unlikely and hesitant messenger reminded me of another hesitant messenger's story. Moses is a shepherd who encounters a strange phenomenon while watching his flock. The Bible says that "Moses stared in amazement. Though the bush was engulfed in flames, it didn't burn up. 'This is amazing,' Moses said to himself. 'Why isn't that bush burning up? I must go see it.'" Exodus 3:2,3 (NLT)

When Moses inspected the burning bush, God called to him from the middle of the bush. "'The cry of the people of Israel has reached me, and I have seen how harshly the Egyptians abuse them. Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.' But Moses protested to God, 'Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?' God answered, 'I will be with you.'" Exodus 3:9-12 (NLT)

But just like Ellen, Moses didn't feel like he could do the job God asked him to do. He pleaded with God, "O Lord, I'm not very good with words. I never have been, and I'm not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled." Exodus 4:10 (NLT)

God wasn't going to take no for an answer. He told Moses, "'Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.' But Moses again pleaded, 'Lord, please! Send anyone else.'" Exodus 4:12-13 (NLT)

When Moses was finally convinced to go to Egypt and confront the Pharaoh, one of the most powerful men on the planet, God was able to use him to free over 600,000 enslaved people. He is remembered today as one of the most important prophets in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. 

Gentle Reader, the stories of Moses and Ellen show us that God has always used ordinary men and women to carry out his plans if we are willing. Have you felt God asking you to do something, but because you feel inadequate, you have resisted Him? God has a plan for you. Whatever God has in store for you, remember His words of encouragement: "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10 (NLT) You may be the next unlikely messenger.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can watch the play here.

No comments:

Post a Comment