Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Latter Rain

My An Arkie's Faith column from the February 14, 2024, issue of The Polk County Pulse.

A light mist was in the air as we arrived at Avalon Hall. I was curious as to what the evening would look like. The event was the Art Lovers Ball. I knew there would be art, music, and food, but I wasn’t sure what to expect. We walked into the beautifully decorated venue and were directed to our table.

As the event began, Michael Cate introduced artist Carolyn MacMahon. On the stage were three large paintings. Two paintings of castles reminded me of our summer trip to Europe. Carolyn explained her process, from composition to the steps she took as she finished the paintings. I was touched by the paintings and impressed with the quality. They would not have been out of place displayed at the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

But the painting that most impacted me depicted several spirited horses running in a field with beautiful scenery and ominous clouds in the background. As Carolyn began to talk about the painting, she told the story of how it was commissioned. 

When Kirk contacted Carolyn with the idea for the painting, he wasn’t sure it was even possible. When Kirk was going through his father's estate, he found an old photo that was very meaningful. It was an 8x10 photo of himself standing in front of the fireplace of the home he grew up in. Above the fireplace mantel was a painting of a circle of running wild stallions and, in the distance, a storm-covered mountain range. The photo reminded him fondly of his younger years and how much he loved the painting over the fireplace. Unfortunately, the photo had irreparable water damage.

As Carolyn was telling us about the origins of the painting, she invited Kirk to come up on stage and tell us how the painting came to be and how much it meant to him. His story touched my heart, and after the presentation, I asked him if I could share his words with you, my readers. He graciously gave me permission. 

Kirk continued the story after telling us about the history of the old, damaged photo. “About five years later, my path crossed that of Carolyn MacMahon. I had gotten to know one of her sons here in Mena, Arkansas, and in becoming friends with him, I learned of his mother’s talent and extraordinary gift for painting. I was invited to her home with several members of our church for a small Bible study. When I walked in, I saw that her home was filled with her paintings and other items of her artwork. I could see clearly her wealth of talent as I went from piece to piece. It was then that I felt my friend say to me, ask her to recreate your beloved painting. 

At once, I asked her about it, and she stated she would give it a try. Knowing the condition of the photo and its damage, I wasn’t sure what she could do. She came over a few days later, and I gave her the photo as we discussed the challenges of recreating the painting. In joy and great anticipation, she started the process. There was quite a bit of communication back and forth as to what I remembered about the painting, for a lot of details were missing due to the water damage. Some months later, she had completed the painting, and when I saw it for the first time in its final state, I could not express the joy I felt inside. It is truly a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. 

So many years later, so many experiences between then and now, looking at myself in the photo and juxtaposed to myself now, I know so much more about God, my Father and my friend. The painting now took on an eternal meaning of life with God, now and in the future. I now understand that God’s Spirit in the first temple dwelled by a pillar of fire by night and a pillar of smoke by day, a splendor that held the world in glorious awe. Now, the Spirit of God dwells in us, making the latter rein of Christ greater than the former. 

The first temple was built by the hands of men according to God’s specifications and it was a site so wonderful and excellent it captivated the attention of every nation on earth. The second temple was built and ordained by the hands of God, exceeding in greatness the first, making the latter temple more excellent than the former temple.

The first covenant was written by the finger of God on tablets of stone. The second covenant was written by God on the hearts of men, making the second covenant greater than the first.

The Word of God became flesh and dwelled among us through the person of Jesus Christ, not doing away with the commandments but fulfilling them, being all in all, showing and proving the righteousness and love of God for us all. 

When I look at this painting, I see the tempest in the background, the raging storms, and the mountains of struggles. The stallions aren’t escaping; they have gone through the storm, being set free from the torrents of disaster, free to run and not be weary, free to walk in truth and burst forth in joy, being set free from pain and sorrow of the past and what lies behind them, and exhilarated in joy, not fear, for the life ahead of them.

My latter life far exceeds my former life. I look forward with Joy to the First Resurrection, when I will see God, not as through a veil, but face to face as He truly is. So, I run with Joy and Faith in the race set before me. And this painting is that constant reminder. Thank you, Jesus, and thank you, Carolyn.”

Kirk Kelso named his precious painting “Latter Rain.” As I was listening to him talk about the painting with his voice filled with emotion, I thought of the text in Joel chapter two that talks of the latter rain. “Rejoice in the Lord your God; For He has given you the former rain faithfully, And He will cause the rain to come down for you— The former rain, and the latter rain.” Joel 2:23 (NKJV) 

Gentle Reader, in farming, there are specific stages involved in producing a good harvest: the planting, the germination of the seed by the early rains, the maturation period, and finally, the ripening period brought on by the last rains of the season, which the Bible calls, “the latter rain.” In Deuteronomy 32:2 (AMPC), God says, “My message shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distill as the dew, as the light rain upon the tender grass, and as the showers upon the herb.” Let’s pray for the latter rain of God’s message to fall on our hearts so He can complete the final harvest.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a memorable experience with your readers. It was an honor that God touched so many people that came through His Word and His gifts.

    ReplyDelete