Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Ramblings


I know that some people are very superstitious about the number thirteen, and for some reason Friday the 13th is particularly troublesome. The sixth day of the week and the number 13 both have foreboding reputations said to date from ancient times. Each year there will be from one to three occurrences of Friday the 13th. There happen to be three such occurrences in 2009, two in the last two months. According to experts it's the most widespread superstition in the United States today. Some people won't go to work on Friday the 13th; some won't eat in restaurants; many wouldn't think of setting a wedding on the date. Over twenty million Americans fear Friday the 13th. The "experts" appear to have no real idea how this superstition started or why it is so pervasive.


Enough about Friday the 13th. Maybe it is unlucky, at least for me. Gina is in Denver visiting with her sisters, and I am here in Arkansas by myself. Yesterday morning we got up at 4:00 A.M. to make the trip to Little Rock so that Gina could catch her flight to Denver. I was a bit worried when it was raining and the thermometer registered 32 degrees. The three hour trip to the airport was rainy and nasty, but the temperature didn't drop and the roads didn't get slick. The weather had caused some of the flights out of Little Rock to be delayed, but Gina's flight left on time. She met her sisters at the Denver Airport. Berta had flown in from Seattle, Bunny had flown in from Portland, and Lenora came and picked them all up. I know they will have a great time at their "Sisters Reunion".

On the way back to Mena, the temperature stayed between 33 and 34 degrees and the rain continued. There were areas along the way where the trees were covered with ice, but the roads were not slick.

Lace
ICY TREES

I stopped at a vista near Mount Ida to stretch my legs. I have tried to photograph this particular vista a number of times but have never been really happy with the results. I photographed the scene in the rain and was surprised at the results.

Rainy Day Vista
BEAUTIFUL VISTA IN THE COLD RAIN

The drive back from Little Rock in the cold rain reminded me that there is beauty all around us even in things that we don't like. I don't like driving in rain that can turn to ice, but even though things looked gloomy, there was beauty. I don't like cold weather and spend a lot of time complaining about it, but I need to spend less time complaining and more time looking for the good and the beauty around me.


Thursday night is our regular Relay For Life planning meeting. Our turnout was good considering the inclement weather. We finalized our sponsors and are ready to send the information to the t-shirt printer. Each sponsor has their name or logo printed on the back of the Relay For Life t-shirts that each participant receives. Even though the economy is much worse than it was a year ago, we have more sponsors than we did last year.


It is very refreshing that even in tough economic times so many people and businesses are willing to donate to a cause that gives others such hope. To all of the sponsors, team members, committee members, and everyone who donates to the Relay For Life: Thank You!!

7 comments:

  1. At least you got a very nice picture of those icy trees, one can have a lot of photographic fun with that kind of subject.

    And life is good - I thank you for the concern, but the medics were well satisfied with the situation. And if they are, so am I :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the photo of the icy trees.It`s great that it is people like you who works for good couses like Relay For Life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last month we had a Friday 13 too. I posted about and how "afraid" I was. But I had survived it. And yesterday, I survived too.

    I am pleased that, inspite of the economic situation, you are doing well with your sponsors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha it is strange that Chinese like 13 and not 14 or 4. 13 in cantonese sounds like "sure survive" or "sure give birth" while 14 sounds like "sure die" and 4 sounds like "die". I am not superstitious but my friend sure is. He refused to join our gathering because that date is 14....lol. So he suggest that we change to 18 (sounds like sure prosper) ...hahahaha. It is so funny but we do just go ahead for our gathering on the 14 without him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your good wishes - i feel a lot better now

    i love a rainy day, but i want to be at home to enjoy it form the window, and just lately i had lots of time to do that, without expecting it!

    all in all, friday the 13th turned out well for me. in greece, tuesday the 13th is a fateful day rather than friday, but that's a complicated lesson in greek history

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Queensland managed to get a 60klm oil slick along the beautiful coastline on Friday 13th. But I don't believe in it myself!

    Thanks for your visit to my Psalm!

    Love the view in the rain...and the grandkids below having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a "potpourri" post on the 13th! I have always heard that the superstition had something to do with the fact that Christ was crucified on a Friday and the night before at the Last Supper there were 13 people present. But nobody really knows for sure, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete