Saturday, December 30, 2017

Best of 2017


2017 is almost over.  Here is a list of the top ten most viewed posts of 2017 on An Arkies Musings.  It is always interesting to me to see what topics other people are interested in.


The most viewed post of 2017 is one titled Barn Find. In the late 70’s and early 80’s building kit cars on a VW chassis was very popular. In 1981 Daddy purchased a complete MG replica kit from MIGI. He spent many hours building the car. At about the same time he was building the MG, he built an addition to the side of his shop. When he completed the addition, the first thing that he stored in the new building was the recently completed MG replica. The little MG has never moved from that spot until just a couple of weeks ago. The post. Barn Find tells the story of the little MG. You can read it here.


The second most viewed post of the year was written about our cat. Saving Moses tells the story of how we became the owner of a cat. You can read the story here.


In January my wife and I saw Shreveport, Louisiana native Dylan LeBlanc in concert at South on Main in Little Rock, Arkansas. My blog post about the concert was the third most viewed of the year. You can read it here.


Number four on the top ten list of 2017 is one of my An Arkie's Faith newspaper columns. The title of the post is Free Gift, and it tells about our experience ant the Shreveport Krewe of Highland Mardi Gras Parade. You can read the post here.


A story about my granddaughters trip to Boston was the fifth most popular post of the year. She was snowbound in Boston for several days before she was able to fly back home. You can read the post here.


The story of my wife's great great grandmother, Sophie was the sixth most read post of 2017. In researching the story I found that during the summer of 1853, a cholera epidemic struck Gentofte, the area of Denmark where Sophie and her husband Peter lived. Peter became ill and died on August 8, 1853, leaving Sophie a widow at age twenty-nine with four small children. At the time of Peter's death, Sophie was not aware that she carried her and Peter's last child. Baby Otto was born eight months and eighteen days after Peter died. Baby Otto was my wife’s great-grandfather. He was conceived just a short while before his father died. That is how close my wife, who is my best friend and soulmate, came to never having a chance to be born. You can read about Sophie's Journey here.


In April. My wife and I attended a cocert by the incredible mandolin player, Sierra Hull. We enjoyed the concert more than we could have ever imagined. Sierra and bassist Ethan Jodziewicz are simply the best at their instruments. Even though they both are virtuoso's on their instruments, the mandolin and the bass, the live show takes on a minimalist approach. Being in the audience felt more like sitting in a living room listening to friends play music for you than being at a concert. My post about the Sierra Hull concert was number seven for the year. You can read it here. 


The subject of the eighth most popular post of the year was my Grandpa Lawry. Before he died my Uncle Lloyd Lawry put together a collection of stories and family history. I was blessed to have been given a copy of his collection. This post was the story he wrote about his Grandpa Lawry. You can read it here.



Post number nine was "My Daddy" which was my Father's Day tribute to my Daddy. You can read it here.


The tenth most popular post of 2016 was the history of the Studebaker XUV. There were plans to reintroduce the Studebaker nameplate in 2004. The Avanti Motor Corporation acquired the rights to use the Studebaker name on a large luxury sport utility vehicle, the XUV. The Studebaker XUV was introduced to the public at the Chicago Auto Show on Feb. 13, 2003. You can read the post here.

As a bonus I'm including one of my favorite posts of the year even though it didn't quite make the top ten. When we visited Hawaii, I was intrigued with the Kalalau Trail on the Na Pali Coast of Kauai. The Na Pali Coast is a seventeen-mile road-less expanse along Kauai’s North Shore. It is an area filled with dramatic cliff faces, pristine beaches, and incredible beauty. You can read about my experince on the trail here.

No comments:

Post a Comment