Sunday, October 9, 2016

Caney Creek Wilderness Area


Even though it is less than twenty miles from my house, yesterday was the first time I had explored the Caney Creek Wilderness Area. We were out for an afternoon ride on a beautiful day and ended up at Caney Creek. We had no destination in mind and were just exploring back roads.


The United States Congress designated the area of the Ouachita National Forest as Caney Creek Wilderness in 1975. The protected area consists of over 14,000 acres in this rugged portion of the Ouachita Mountains. Caney Creek and Short Creek flow through the wilderness area before joining the Cossatot River and are separated by steep ridges with stunning views.



We explored an area that is used as a swimming hole. The water was so clear that we could easily watch dozens of fish swimming in the area. I want to go back next summer with my granddaughters. I know they will love the area.










No comments:

Post a Comment